NEWS – September 2021
Our free historical JRPG educational
The Spirit of
Europe – Origins
releases on PC via Steam and itch.io
Descend the pits of time and light the beacons of change!
We are delighted to announce the release of “The Spirit of Europe – Origins” – a free, educational single-player jRPG game with a philosophical flavour. It will be available for download on PC via Steam and itch.io starting September 30,2021. Embody a fragment of the mythical Europa and travel through history from the ancient times to the Renaissance, through the realm of thoughts and emotions, where spirits fight for supremacy over human consciousness. Experience a humanistic metaphor of historical events as we know them, possess over a hundred characters, drive their actions and witness their consequences in pivotal events of Europe’s past.
Experience history with a twist: The perspectives of Gods, personalized virtues and vices are different from those of mere mortals in the spirit world we’ve built inspired by archetypal stories, western philosophy and core principles which the modern western society is built on: peace, democracy, rule of law, freedom, tolerance, pluralism – and we’ll let you discover the rest.
Discover the forging of Europe & the birth of the western ethos: Possess any mortal, be it a mere commoner or a great figure of history. Drive their actions and learn about their way of life, beliefs, fears and hopes, aspirations and ambition – and you may be surprised at what you uncover.
Assemble your troops & manage your resources: Gain influence with the living and inspire them to build the great edifices we know today. Gather the souls of defeated vices and use them to summon allies from among those fallen throughout the ages. Augment them with godly essences for they will be your shield against the forces that seek your undoing – and you will witness how the bitterest foes can become allies.
By your hand shall history be made: Be the invisible hand that forges Europe’s history as we know it: from the ancient times of Classical Greece, throughout the glory of the Roman Empire, the tumult of its fall, the chaos that followed and the bonds formed in the Middle Ages. Your journey through Europe will only end once it’s reborn – or will it?
Peace as a key global value will be pursued through the centuries, suggesting its benefits to the player.
Game trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4elJoEK0RA&t
- Historically accurate educational content;
- Two realms: the spirit realm and the material one;
- Possession system, allowing you to take control of any NPC;
- Economy and building system used to upgrade and recruit units;
- Disciples II-inspired, tactical, turn-based combat;
- A deeply philosophical, fictional story-line involving gods, virtues, vices, concepts and thoughts, manifested as spirits;
- Over 15 hours of gameplay;
- 58 combat units with over 50 unique abilities;
- Over 240 NPCs to interact with, from ancient Greece to the 12th century European Renaissance;
- 13 unique maps offering over 20 quests;
- Possess & explore the world with over 240 characters, from mere commoners to great figures of European history.
In order to gain access to the game, you will need to register & complete our initial assessment, consisting of a few history-based questions that can be found on the game’s website: https://thespiritofeurope.eu.
About Predict CSD Consulting (Predict Edumedia)
Predict CSD Consulting is specialized in building online educational products: e-courses, instructional, experiential & edutainment video games. With a few dozen educational products released, our efforts have furthered interactivity and innovation in the field of education – a mission we’re passionate about because learning is fun!
“The Spirit of Europe – Origins” was developed by Predict CSD Consulting, with inputs from international and local partners: Millenium Center – Romania, Euro – Net – Italy, IDEC – Greece and Inercia Digital S.L. – Spain.
“The Spirit of Europe – Origins” was made with the Unreal® Engine. Unreal® is a trademark or registered trademark of Epic Games, Inc. in the United States of America and elsewhere.
Unreal® Engine, Copyright 1998 – 2021, Epic Games, Inc. All rights reserved.
This product was created with the financial support of the European Commission. The content of this material reflects the views only of the authors and the National Agency or the European Commission cannot be held responsible for any use which may be made of the information.
“The Spirit of Europe – Origins” project
The project “The Spirit of Europe – Origins“
While most disciplines can be taught through textbooks and lectures, educating values has proven an important, yet particularly difficult segment of teaching which is poorly addressed in most areas of learning. This is particularly why educating values must be done differently and they are sediment in time, considering implicit learning and learning experience.
Fortunately, today’s technology opens up possibilities which were never available before: educating through simulation, which transfers the very individual into an environment where experimentation and acquiring of information comes deeply connected to whatever the aim of the educator is, most often even without the knowledge of the learner.
Our aim is to develop an immersive simulated environment commonly known as video/digital game, in which the learner travels through Europe’s history, from its mythological beginnings to the present, actively participating in key events throughout the history and mythology that shaped today’s Europe. This approach ensures the implicit acquirement of values in addition to learning Europe’s history and mythology, culture and civilization.
- 300 adults to gain basic knowledge of European values, history and culture during 18 months of the project;
- 30 adult learning agents/structures to introduce an e-learning GAME as a learning tool for European history and values during 18 months of the project;
- to promote European values among 1000 persons during 30 months of the project;
Our game will connect some of the key values of the European Union with these eras:
- Ancient Greece: democracy as a principle, fundamental western philosophy, mythology, the Olympic Games, mathematics, archetypal stories etc.;
- The Roman Empire: legislative system, religious, sexual orientation, geographic and cultural diversity, state government systems, architecture, etc.;
- Dark ages: Magna Carta (incipient forms of liberty, popular democracy, justice, freedom of the individual against arbitrary authority), universities, printing press, chivalry etc.;
- The Viking Age: gender equality, exploration, innovation, trade etc.;
- Renaissance: tolerance, pluralism, arts, science, cultural expression, diplomacy etc.
More about the project and the game can be seen here: https://thespiritofeurope.eu